9/09/2009

What? Me cultured???

Growing up in the culturally-void wasteland of Mobile, AL (which seems to be slowly changing, from what my mom tells me), I spent a good deal of the last ten years of my time there trying to seek out new and interesting things, and glean some sort of self curated education of culture.
Music seems to have come first: heading out to as much live, local music as I could; reading musician interviews and articles to find out about old bands that were then unheard of to me; trading music with people; taking more chance on unknown bands.
Then Literature: college mostly oversaw that one, though I did occasionally try to lose myself among the shelves at the local city library (which is how I chanced to stumble upon Murakami).
Then Film: working in multiple video stores; scouring all the Criterion editions from the library's DVD collection; heading out to every indie/artsy movie I was able to, no matter how tedious.

And now, it seems as if my brain has finally made it's way around to an interest in Art.
First, there was this book.
And then this one.*
And tonight, I picked up this one. I don't know why I got a bug up my ass about Impressionism all of a sudden, it just happened.
We'll see what comes next. Probably Theater.



*This is not accounting for my Mick Rock, Nicholas Zinner, or David Horovitz photography books. I file those under Music.

No comments:

Post a Comment