7/30/2009

well, read



B.P.R.D.: Hollow Earth
This coming Saturday morning, I'm attending my first graphic novel reading group (read "book club") meeting; Hollow Earth is the book for discussion this time 'round.
Not knowing much about the Hellboy universe (in which this is set -- centering around Abe Sapian, Liz Sherman, Johann Krauss, and Roger the Homunculus) beyond that set forth with the movie adaptations, I occasionally felt that I was missing things throughout the main story arc. But, all in all, it was enjoyable and a quick read. I don't know if I'll return to the series after this book, but it could happen.





The Bradleys -- Peter Bagge

A collection of Bagge's 1980s work in Neat Stuff that introduced the Bradley family, from which he would supplant eldest child Buddy into 1990s Seattle for Bagge's seminal comic Hate. If nothing else, Bagge's work serves as a wonderful time capsule for each of his respective eras.





City Boy -- Edmund White
This one doesn't hit stores until September, but I just finished an advance proof of the book. And as usual, White knocks one out of the ballpark. Labelled a "memoir," White's latest focuses least of all on White himself, instead placing the spotlight(s) on the number of celebrities and personalities that White knew while living in NYC during the 1960s and 70s. John Ashbery, James Merrill, Christopher Isherwood, Vladimir Nabokov, Thom Gunn, Susan Sontag, and many, many others -- White offers wonderful insight and shares wonderful anecdotes about all of them.





Our Man in Havana -- Graham Greene
Yet another read for yet another book club (my therapist wants me to get out and meet some more/new people, so this is my attempt) -- this one focusing more on "classic" literature.
This is my first time reading Greene, and so far so good. He reminds me a lot of Waugh. And I like Waugh a lot. A whole lot.

1 comment:

  1. Our Man in Havana is one of Greene's best, skillfully walking the lines between romantic comedy, global politics and sad social commentary. There's also a great film adaptation starring Alec Guiness as Wormwold, screenplay by Greene and directed by Carol Reed. I'll have to check out City Boy. Thanks!

    - Dan M

    ReplyDelete