6/01/2009

weekend films



Pee-Wee's Big Adventure
A truly fantastic film.
A wonderful late night spent with Vadim, Mike, and Jay.

And Fleur de Lethal is fabulous. If you're in Portland, I highly recommend checking out some of her upcoming events. I'll definitely be at:
6/20 -- Velvet Goldmine (at the Bagdad)
8/21 -- Purple Rain (at the Mission)

Hopefully I'll see you there.




~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~




Truck Turner
I've never been much a fan of the blaxploitation genre, but Truck Turner has me reevaluating my stance. Caught this one at the Hollywood, along with Kevin and Mike.
Check this one out if you get the chance. I don't think you'll be disappointed. Unless you want snooty, high art, award winning fare.



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~




Until the Light Takes Us
A great (if somewhat esoteric) documentary on the beginnings of the Norwegian Black Metal scene, and how it quickly spiraled out of control as the more political and radical faction began burning down churches and killing fellow band members. While those unfamiliar with Black Metal and its sordid history could easily get lost, I thought it managed an even-handed account of the various personalities to be found within the movement. Definitely a must-see for the Black Metal fans; though, for interested parties not familiar with the movement, you might want to pair it with Lords of Chaos or True Norwegian Black Metal.
Watched this one with Kevin, Mike, and Zac.

No comments:

Post a Comment