6/08/2009

Long Shadows and Gun-powder Eyes: Neko Case, Crystal Ballroom, 06/05/09



I'm hesitant to write any kind of review about Friday night's performance. I'm worried that it will quickly snowball into little more than repetitive hyperbole. But, it really was a great show. One that made me wish I had been able to score a ticket to the following night's performance as well.

Opener Jason Lytle was less than memorable.
I've never been much a Grandaddy fan, so I wasn't really interested in the frontman's new solo material. It was a bit boring and didn't do much for me. Thankfully, he didn't play for very long, maybe half an hour at most -- which was weird since he was headlining a bill at the Doug Fir the following night. Hopefully the people who actually paid money specifically to see him got their money's worth that night.

Neko, and her usual backing band, came on about 9pm (kinda early by Portland standards) and played for about 90 minutes, if not more. They touched on nearly every song from the new album, they even opened and closed the night with "Marais la Nuit" played over the housespeakers. Sadly, "The Next Time You Say Forever" and "Magpie to the Morning" were missing from the setlist, but hearing "Middle Cyclone," "Prison Girls," and "This Tornado Loves You" in a live setting more than made up for it. I also got to hear "Deep Red Bells" and a fleshed-out, full-band version of "Knock Loud," both of which were lovely. As for the rest of the set -- she pulled about half of Fox Confessor..., and the two original tracks that so far are exclusive to the live album. And that's about it. It would have been nice to hear something more from the earlier albums, but that's only a minor complaint; though, it had me curious as to what the setlist for Saturday night looked like.

But, all in all, it was a great night -- Joe and Martin are always fun company; and given the crowd response when Case repeatedly mentioned the "bear convention in town for the weekend", there could have been some even more fun company to be found within. Oh well...




"...did someone make a fool of me?
For, I can show'em how it's done."

No comments:

Post a Comment