6/16/2009

current aural fixations



Quasi ~~ When the Going Gets Dark
It's taken me nearly three years, but I've finally warmed up to this one. I think part of me was so incredibly blown away by Hot Shit!, that I was disappointed that this wasn't 'pt. 2'; and I think part of me was a bit turned off by the heavier reliance the band's been placing on guitars, pulling back from the keys-and-drums dynamic that makes them so wonderful. But recently something clicked, and I've been loving the shit out of this album. All of last week, it was almost the only thing I listened to on the bus (alternating with the new eels album).
They're supposedly working on a new album right now, which will hopefully mean that they'll be playing out some more. And soon.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~




X ~~ More Fun in the New World
About 6 years ago, I quickly burned through a heavy X phase, picking up their first four albums in quick succession. I don't know why I stopped at four, I just did. And, over the following years, that final (for me, at least) fourth album has become a solid favorite of mine. It's been in my car for the past few weeks and has hardly left the CD player. It's a fantastic piece of music wrapped up as an overproduced punk album. But given the clarity and the production quality, it never sounds shallow or fake. It's completely gritty and balls-out once you wipe away the sheen.

No comments:

Post a Comment