8/30/2009

WW(TF)II

height="550">


I went to see Tarantino's latest this past Friday afternoon.
Since I was in SE, I decided to catch it at CineMagic on Hawthorne. I get to Cinemagic maybe once a year, and every time I go I ask myself the same question -- why don't I head to this place more often??? A $4.50 matinee and popcorn and soda totalling $5.75 means a complete theater experience for just over $10.00 [this would be the part where I say something like, Fuck You, Regal Cinemas! -- but, I'll more than likely be overpaying for a movie at a Regal theater again before too long]. And, any concession stand that sells moonpies gets an A+ in my book.

As for the film itself...it was OK. It's certainly not Tarantino's best, but it's a worthy attempt, nonetheless. It's epic and grandiose and a little overeaching and very heavy-handed and kinda silly and incredibly bloody and violent. And Brad Pitt's accent sucessfully took me out of the experience every time he was on screen. Whenever his character was around, I was very aware that I was watching a movie. It wasn't a bad character, it was just a bad fit for the actor.
And, after serving up such genre-homages as Kill Bill and Death Proof, it's strange to see a more-straightforward offering from the man. But then again, he claims that this is his "spaghetti western," and seeing as how that's not I genre I know much about, I probably missed all of the signifiers a more trained eye would have spotted. Oh well. It was a worth it.
Check it out.


And if you're in Portland, be sure to give Cinemagic some business sometime. You might like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment