3/28/2010

Don't ask me if this line is about you

Wednesday night -- 3/24/10 -- Vadim and I headed out to Holocene for the much-anticipated Xiu Xiu show. It was originally billed as a three band show, but somewhere along they added a fourth band to the bill; which made for three exceedingly longer exercises in patience and one incredible set.

Operative
M'eh.

Pearly Gate Music
Double M'eh.

tUnE-yArDs
Ultra M'eh.

Xiu Xiu
I've seen this band 8-9 times by now (every time Jamie Stewart [with or without Xiu Xiu] has come through town since I've moved here), and each time it's been a completely different experience, usually due to an ever-changing line-up. And this night's show was no exception. With Caralee McElroy out and Angela Seo in, Xiu Xiu has adopted a slightly colder, slightly minimalist electronic noise sound. Korg synth, beat programming via Nintendo DS, knobs, switches, whistles, gongs, cymbals, and guitar. Everything you've come to expect from the group, with some elements gone but with new ones to take their place(s).
My only real issue with their set was the brevity. For the headlining band, they may have played 60-75 minutes; and given the wealth of material they have to pull from, that ain't a very long time.

The set list from the night (thanks internet!):
B D Box (? not a title I recognize, so it may be a new one -- but I recognize some of the lyrics, however I've yet to find from where)
Apistat Commander
Grey Death
Dear God, I Hate Myself
Muppet Face
Gayle Lynn (amazing version of this one)
I Luv the Valley
Falkland Rd.
Poe Poe
Guantanamo Canto
Chocolate Makes You Happy
This Too Shall Pass Away (For Freddy)
Boy Soprano




too bad they didn't play this one

No comments:

Post a Comment